What is better than a fresh, nutritious summer meal? We have created a light, summery recipe that is both delicious, healthy, and perfect for a dinner with your family or friends.
If we had to summarize this dish, we’d describe it as delicate and alkaline. This is practically all you need on a hot summer day. This dish gives you all the health benefits of the best alkaline foods, namely avocados, lemons, zucchinis, and tomatoes. These nutritious ingredients are full of antioxidants that will help make you glow from the inside out!
Before introducing the alkaline meal, this article dives into the importance of eating alkaline foods and using alkaline water in your cooking. Supporting and maintaining your health doesn’t need to be hard; choose alkaline foods to help your body thrive!
Choosing Healthy Alkaline Foods
To understand the benefits of an alkaline diet, it is important to underline the damaging effects that the typical North American diet has on our health.
The Standard American Diet is highly acidic. It involves the consumption of tasty (yet harmful!) foods and beverages such as meat, milk, butter, cheese, pasta, pizza, coffee, tea, soft drinks, alcohol and much more.
By eating acidic foods on a daily basis, our body cannot replenish itself with the healthy minerals that are primarily found in high alkaline foods. As a consequence, our body starts to experience too much acidity which can lead to an array of health problems.
Here are some of the health issues that are provoked by an excessive intake of acidic foods:
- Acid Reflux
- High Cholesterol
- Heart Disease
- Inflammatory diseases (such as allergies, arthritis, fibromyalgia, psoriasis, etc).
Eating alkaline foods and drinking alkaline water, can help you restore the body’s pH balance and reduce its acidity. Below is a list of alkaline foods and acidic foods - you can use these charts as a reference when preparing new recipes for your alkaline diet plan!
Alkaline Food List
Alkaline Lemon Water, Alkaline Water, Fresh Vegetable Juice, Matcha, Green Tea, Herbal Tea
Avocados, Cherries, Coconut, Grapefruit, Lemons, Limes, Mango, Papaya, Tomatoes, Watermelon
Buckwheat, Quinoa, Spelt
Herbs & Spices
Most Herbs and Spices, Himalayan Salt, Cayenne Pepper
Beans, Edamame, Lentils, Soy Flour, Soy Nuts, Tofu
Nuts & Seeds
Almonds, Cumin Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Sesame Seeds
Avocado Oil, Borage Oil, Coconut Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Olive Oil
Artichokes, Arugula, Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chives, Cucumbers, Garlic, Ginger, Green Beans, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Onions, Peas, Peppers, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini
Acidic Food List
Alcohol, Beer, Black Tea, Coffee, Wine
Cottage Cheese, Cream, Goat’s Dairy, Ice Cream, Milk, Soy Milk, Yogurt, Whey
Ketchup, Malt, Mayonnaise, Mustard, Soy Sauce, Table Salt, Vinegar
Canned Fruit, Jam, Jelly
Rye Bread, White Bread, White Flour, Whole-grain Bread, White Pasta, White Rice, Whole-wheat Bread
Herbs & Spices
Curry Powder, Nutmeg, Vanilla
Meat, Poultry, Fish
Beef, Eggs, Farmed Fish, Shellfish, Pork, Poultry, Veal
Nuts & Seeds
Salted Nuts, Most Packaged Nuts
Butter, Corn Oil, Margarine
Brown Sugar, Corn Syrup, Fructose, Pasteurized Honey, Refined Sugar, White Sugar
Mushrooms, White Potatoes
Cook With Alkaline Water
Did you know that cooking with demineralized water will strip your food of the essential minerals it carries? Studies have shown that food that is prepared in water that has a low mineral content will experience a high loss of calcium, magnesium and other trace minerals.
To avoid this problem, use mineralized alkaline water when you’re cooking. Santevia creates the best alkaline water filters that not only add healthy minerals but also offer a number of other health benefits.
The benefits of alkaline water:
- It can help reduce acid reflux
- It balances the body’s pH levels (which helps you maintain an alkaline body)
- It helps you feel more energized
- It encourages weight loss and flushes out toxins
- It promotes healthy skin thanks to its antioxidant content
- It maintains your muscles and joints well-hydrated
- It strengthens the immune system
- It prevents the development of disease
Now, let’s jump into our recipe!
Creamy Alkaline Zucchini Pasta
You can serve this wholesome alkaline meal hot or cold.
Serves 4 people.
- 3 zucchinis (380 grams)
- 1 ½ avocados
- 1 large lemon (juiced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ hemp seeds
- 1 bunch fresh basil (1 cup basil leaves packed)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup Santevia alkaline water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- Spiralize your zucchini into noodles. Alternatively, you can buy zucchini noodles at the store.
- In a blender or food processor add your avocados, lemon juice, garlic, hemp seeds, minced garlic, basil, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and alkaline water. Blend until smooth.
- To serve cold: Pour noodles into a bowl and pour over sauce. Top with cherry tomatoes and enjoy!
- To serve hot: Place your zucchini noodles in a non-stick fry pan for 3- 5 minutes and cook on medium-high. In a separate pan, add sauce and tomatoes, then cook on low heat for another 3 minutes. Pour noodles into a bowl, pour over sauce, and enjoy!